Skip to main content

Day 12 - God's Will and Ours

Day 12 of Andrew Murray's The Secret of Intercession poses the following question: Why must all our prayers of intercession be based on Christ's prayer, "Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10)?

Murray lays out the answer to this in a few short pages, but we get the answer in the first paragraph: "When He made man in His image, it was, above all, that man's desires were to be in perfect accord with the desires of God" .... "in the human flesh man was to be the embodiment and fulfillment of God's desires" (48).

In short order, Murray tells us that man's fall set God in doing "the great work of winning man back to make the desires of God his own" so that man could once again be in perfect accord with God (48).

Through Christ, that opportunity for perfect accord is at hand. "The Son, as man, said in agony and blood, 'Thy will be done,' and made the surrender even to the point of being forsaken by God. He did this so that the power that had deceived man might be conquered and deliverance procured" (49).

As followers... and as intercessors... "the great work of appropriating that redemption is this: that believers have to say, first of all for themselves and then in lives devoted to intercession for others, 'Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven' (Matt 6:10)" (49).

What some of us often find... and I'll be truthful... what I often find is that it's not hard to say Thy will be done for others. We pray for healing. We pray for increase for others, but we know that in the end, it is God's will that will be done. Now, when we move that will onto us, it can get a little scary because we truly have to realize that it's not about us. It's not our will that does anything. We surrender ourselves, we petition for ourselves and others, and God's will shall be done. For some, there is much peace, rest, and comfort found in that. For others, the fear of what will God's will be? lingers.

I think it's important that we step back to the beginning, seeing that 1) God made us in his image (and he is perfect -- shouldn't we be absolutely thrilled to be made in his image!?) and 2) because we are made in his image, we have a responsibility to set our desires right with him and his will.



Other Posts in The Secret of Intercession series
  1. "Kickstarting Intercession"
  2. "Day 1 - Intercession"
  3. "Day 2 - The Opening of the Eyes"
  4. "Day 3 - Man's Place in God's Plan"
  5. "Day 4 - Intercession in the Plan of Redemption"
  6. "Day 5 - God Seeks Intercessors"
  7. "Day 6 - Christ as Intercessor"
  8. "Day 7 - The Intercessors God Seeks"
  9. "Day 8 - The School of Intercession"
  10. "Day 9 - The Power in the Name of Jesus"
  11. "Day 10 - Prayer, the Work of the Spirit"
  12. "Day 11 - Christ, Our Example in Intercession"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &