Skip to main content

Day 6 - Christ as Intercessor

Some time ago, I began posting on Andrew Murray's book, The Secret of Intercession.


The book contains 31 chapters, each chapter constituting a "day." In each day, Murray highlights a facet of intercession: what it is, why it's important, and how we are to come to it, among others. I posted on days one through five previously, and those links are below.

Today, I'm talking on Day 6, "Christ as Intercessor."

In this short chapter, Christ is called the true Intercessor as "God Himself would provide the true Intercessor, in Christ His Son, of whom it had already been said, 'He bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors'" (Isa. 53:12; Murray 25).

Murray provides other places in the bible where Jesus intercedes for man (John 17; Luke 22:32) before concluding with the most poignant prayer from Jesus to God - "Father, forgive them" (Luke 23:34) as Jesus was on the cross (Murray 26).

With Jesus "seated at God's right hand," Murray states that Jesus is still the true Intercessor and still prays without ceasing. Now, however, we are invited to do so with him. We have that power to do the work of intercession.

They [People] would learn in faith to pray in His name. He would present their petition to the Father, and through His and their united intercession, the church would be clothed with the power of the Spirit. (26)

In all of the chapters in The Secret of Intercession, Murray concludes with a question and some space for you to journal your thoughts. He concludes Day 6 with the following question: How did Jesus model the life of an intercessor while He was here on earth?

Murray says a few things about intercession in Day 1:

"But the glory of intercession is so much greater--when a man is bold and asks from God what he desires for others" (7).

"It is the power of being used by God as instruments for His great work of making men His habitation and showing forth His glory" (8).

It is when Christians cease from looking for help in external union and aim at being bound together to the throne of God by an unceasing devotion to Jesus Christ, and an unceasing continuance in supplication for the power of God's Spirit, that the church will put on her beautiful garments and put on her strength, too, and overcome the world. (9)

So, for me, in answering the above question, I reply, as Murray states, that Jesus is the true Intercessor. In his short time on earth, he was the ultimate mediator, prayer warrior for God, petitioning to God to give us mercy and lovingkindness. Even on the cross, he prayed for God to forgive man, for "they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).

When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego were sent to burn because they refused to worship a gold image that Nebuchadnezzar had created, the trio did not burn. The trio showed no fear in their beliefs and convictions, and their faith in God kept them from believing that God would allow them to perish. In Daniel 3:25, it reads: "Look!" he [Nebuchadnezzar] answered, "I see four men, too, walking in the middle of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the fourth is like the Son of God." Every time I read this story and read these words, I get excited, happy, and feel blessed because this story illustrates to me God's love for us through his son. Jesus is our mediator. He petitions for our forgiveness, our mercy, our grace, our favor, our blessings.

He is not one-sided in these actions; his love transcends hate. He prays of forgiveness for the very men who killed him illustrates this.

As I look more into intercession and its importance in my life, these reflections of Jesus' works tell me that this is what us intercessors are to do, too. We are to be equal-opportunity prayer warriors, not handpicking who to pray for, but praying for all, fervently, continuously, with our full hearts.


Other Posts in The Secret of Intercession series

  1. "Kickstarting Intercession"
  2. "Day 1 - Intercession"
  3. "Day 2 - The Opening of the Eyes"
  4. "Day 3 - Man's Place in God's Plan"
  5. "Day 4 - Intercession in the Plan of Redemption"
  6. "Day 5 - God Seeks Intercessors"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &