Skip to main content

Be Present to Find Joy [#HUGSlove Series]

So often, we struggle, we fight to live just above life's currents so that we are able to, at the very least, breathe as we make it from one day to the next.

That is not the way life is supposed to be.

We are called to be joyful and to find joy even in the most devastating of circumstances.

Chronic Stress Disorder (CSD) often makes it hard for me to see joy and keep joy near. For me, CSD is like having my nerves constantly on fire while they are pricked by millions of the sharpest needles ever created. This is what it feels like when I'm stressing about things that my mind knows are perceived and not real. This feeling is amplified when dealing with stressors that are tangible, immediate.

Despite these feelings and the other issues that cower under the CSD umbrella (anxiety, depression), I do realize that there must be consistent intentionality to the pursuit of joy.

As with anything.

If you want to lose weight, you have to be consistent, intentional of what you eat and how often you move. If you want to save money, you have to be consistent, intentional of how you spend your money.

For me, this means digging into the Word to entrench myself on what it means to be "of joy." It means keeping my senses open to my experiences so that I can be a witness to the moments of joy I find myself in and, more importantly, analyze when I find myself falling away from joy or the seeking of it.

This leads me to a little story I want to tell you of how God allowed me, in the midst of major anxiety and "right now" stress, to be of peace and within His joy.

Last week, I was thinking about perceived and "right now" stress: the what-ifs of situations that may (and usually don't) happen and the energy I give to those moments and the immediate, real-time situations I face and the energy I give to them. I was thinking about how I seriously needed to be present in my living so that I can differentiate between the two types of stress and handle both better.

And while thinking on this, two pressing "right now" stressors entered my life. They both needed immediate attention; my anxiety rose greatly, and my stress levels had my entire body on fire. And yet, there was this eerie calm about me. I will admit, I felt so very defeated in the moment and in life in general. Annihilatory thoughts ran rampant, and yet... the eerie calm was there. To me, this calm was that nothingness before a great storm. Even my mother thought so. When she saw me, fear gripped her. She tried to take me outside because it was so bright and cool; she thought it would "wake me." I went out for a minute, but the light, the "everything I love about a great day" tired me, so I returned to my desk where I sat and rocked in my chair.

A moment later, I looked at the wall before me.


I saw the word "faith" on a plaque and scoffed. Faith in what?








I saw a note I wrote about how Jesus was weary, had wept, had "thirst," and was tempted, like me, but that he was different because he didn't fall to temptation--that I, too, can walk away from temptation like Jesus. I shook my head and chuckled.




Then, my eyes fell upon something I wrote from a book on the rights I have as a child of God. I read this aloud: I have a right to be free, be healed, to prosper, never fear again, to have peace, to use the name of Jesus, to always triumph, and with each right, my heart stirred, tears collected, and my throat grew tight.


I FELT these words. I FELT God covering me, hugging me.

HE was why I was calm despite the negative feelings I had about the situations before me.

HE was telling me that what I currently felt was not bigger than the truth, the truth that things would be OK...that I would be OK.

Make no mistake about this story; it has a happy ending, but it was a war: it was a war between my mind and my faith, my mind and my God, my mind and my possible (and probably detrimental) reactions to my mind. I could have, like I have done so many times before, exacerbated the situation and made myself sick--emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually, but God was stronger than me (duh!), and this time, I was receptive to God's strength to not fall.

Being receptive, PRESENT while in the middle of "right now" stress allowed me to see God and His desire for me to be unharmed, thereby letting me be still--in peace and in joy.

At the end of every #HUGSlove post, you will see previous links to the series. I hope you enjoy them; feel free to share with others!

  1. The Origin of #HUGSlove [link]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &