Skip to main content

#LOVEADAY: Get Up


Years ago, I began writing myself daily love notes, which I ended up calling #loveaday notes. It started with me using 7-day pill holders and Post-its and has grown to me using notebooks, planners, and now digital journals to write my daily notes.

I am of the firm belief that if you don't fill yourself with love, it will be difficult to have the energy and resources to fully and effectively provide needed love to others. These notes often give me great food for thought.

Today's note really tapped into the heart of how I've been feeling lately, and I wanted to share what the note read and what that note made me think. In doing this, I hope you find something to glean from this sharing.

This was today's note (to the right): "Get up one more time... ...and then keep getting up!"

This note came from my experiences of the day, which I share with you below.

=======

When I woke up this morning, one thought blared in my head: "Why do you ever wake up when every time you do so, you're met with irritation, aggravation, and utter disappointment?"

That thought followed me throughout my day.

One of my very first #loveaday notes!

One of my very first #loveaday notes!
Here's a number for you: 4.

Four times this afternoon, I sat here at my laptop, attempting to be productive, only to crawl back to my bed, wishing to dissolve into my bedding. After a few minutes, or an hour, my #depression and #anxiety would become too big for my head, my bed, and I would trudge back to my laptop and try to be the me I truly want to be.

The fourth time I crawled into my bed, my entire being was both electrified with mental anguish and numbed by my feelings. I truly felt defeated and depleted.

And my morning thought banged against the back of my eyes; back of my head, forehead; where back of head connects with neck.

And even with all of that, "Get up" could be heard within the cacophony.

Another earlier #loveaday note.

A week's worth of notes!
It wasn't me because Shonell just didn't give a shit.

It was #God, as always, taking my hand, helping me to my feet to hold me in his arms and whisper in my ear, "Get up and try again."

So, here I am, trying, and thanking God that He loves me enough to care that I not give up.

I won't lie; as I sit here, I am in severe pain; it feels like I'm having a heart attack, like my brain is going to burst through my head and eyes, like love is being squeezed out of my heart.

But I'm here.

Trying.

And I pray you continue to try, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &