Skip to main content

Stripping Is Good for the Soul

No, sorry, it's not THAT kind of party. I just knew the title would get you here.

The post IS about stripping, however, so sit back, have a read, and learn a bit more about me.

I do believe things happen for a reason, so I should have known that reading a post about "dying to self" from fellow author and Tag Team Sister in Christ Tracey Michae'l Lewis-Giggetts would propel me into my own dying episode.

Yesterday was a bad day for me. A lot of things in my life are coming to head. Recently, I compared it to an abscess, this growing pocket of pus that's so ready to be popped so that the poison can drain away, the pain can subside, and things can be made well.

I went to sleep with a heavy heart and woke up tired, battered, and a little bruised. I went to Facebook on my phone and saw I had a response on a quote I posted the day before by poet Gwendolyn Brooks: "I am a writer perhaps because I am not a talker."

A friend of mine, jokingly (kind of - lol) replied, "uhhh--You? Not a talker? I never noticed you having that problem! ;-)"

I took the time, while still in bed, to voice the following response: "... that was only because I took a liking to ya that I spoke, lol. And that God has a funny way of making me look normal than I really am, lol. Inside, I'm usually loathing that I have to speak."

Almost instantly, I paused. Something didn't sound right about what I had written although it was exactly what I believed and what I wanted to write.

A thought popped into my head, and I voiced it on Facebook:

I just wrote about how God has a funny way of making me look like I'm a good conversationalist and speaker when secretly I hate speaking in public. But perhaps maybe it's not about God being funny but about me being fearful of speaking in public and how I feel I am perceived that's the problem--especially when I've received nothing but praise for this act in the past. Food for thought for me this morning...on a lot about how I think of me.

How did I come to think that God was the funny one? LOL Seriously. I'm flawed. He isn't. I'm riddled with fear, insecurities, too many years of low self-esteem, and this constant (though I am working on all these things) need to make EVERYONE around me OK with me. He isn't. Perhaps, I'm the funny one because I allow my fleshy human self to believe that what I think about myself is true and God just likes to joke. Maybe I'm the funny one because even though I've read and I believe that I'm the head and not the tail, that I will soar on wings like eagles, that I will run and not grow weary, that I will walk and not be faint, that the Lord will prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies and anoint my head with oil, that I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me ... I haven't walked the walk of these beliefs.

I haven't stripped myself bare of myself, of this fleshy human that truly believes I know what's what ... that in the end it is I that knows everything there is to know about me, so surely others -- to include God -- are the funny ones when they try to present me in a manner that doesn't equal what I see when I look in the mirror, when I think of myself.

Just from this one quote, response, and my response; I have gotten this little, precious nugget of truth: I am greater than what I think I am. Now, this has nothing to do with pride. I'm not being boastful. I'm not patting self on the back so hard that I flip over. Ask anyone that knows me: it's hard for me to be that full of myself.

It's just that for the first time in a long time, the veil I've placed on me was removed. In an instant, I was stripped bare of my insecurities and my Shonell-made truths and saw THE truth: I'm great. There are things to be loved and admired about me. I'm worth more than I think I am. I am fantabulous. And it's OK to think it. And it's OK to SAY it. And it's OK to DECLARE it, and God would have it no other way.

How am I to receive the abundance he has for me ... or better yet, to REALIZE that I'm receiving the abundance and not let it pass me by if I don't strip myself before him and let HIS truth be known about me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &