Skip to main content

A Conversation with Father

I sit, lethargic, before my computer, staring at the screen with a mind that is active but a body that wishes not to be put into motion.

In my right ear, I hear, "What's going on?"

I shrug as I feel the tears build because I know he hears me.

ME: Don't think I can do this.

GOD: Do what?

ME: This, this Ph.D. I mean, you and I both know I'm going to if for no other reason than I hate to disappoint, and I fear people looking at my differently.

GOD: Even though I told you it's not about what others think--it's about the good path you've chosen to take and the missions that must be accomplished while on that path...?

ME: Basically. (sighs) I just don't think I'm smart enough. I'm not really smart, you know? I think I play smart well, but I don't embody it all that much.

Silence ensues, and I look around, sit still, hoping to hear him again.

Finally, he sighs, and I feel his hand on my back. I sob.

GOD: Didn't I tell you to apply to this school...and just this school?

ME: You did, and initially, I thought you just needed some humor in your celestial life. Who applies to ONE school?

GOD: You.

ME: You got me. (sighs) But, Dad, you've seen me. My life is so overwhelming, and most days I'd rather sit and stare off into space instead of work, and some days, some days the depression hits so

hard that sitting and staring is like too much work.

GOD: Do you remember when you got that call from the school, three hours before the closing time for applications to be turned in?

ME: (shudders) Oh my God...sorry, I mean, yes. I was so scared, and I knew for sure then you were trying to set me up.

GOD: You had three hours to get a recommendation to the school. And what happened?

ME: Found the one person in the world least likely to help me.

GOD: And what did she do?

ME: Help me. Big time.

Silence collects, but I don't fret. I hear his breathing against my ear. I smile.

Then frown.

ME: Daddy, I just don't...(sighs)...I feel old. I feel done. I feel so out of my element right now. About any and everything. Not even my academics can squash it, and in the past, it could.

GOD: Remind me, who was given a fellowship their first year, a fellowship that helped with living expenses and needs?

ME: Me, but I don't think...

GOD: And who finished coursework in a year and a half, despite insecurities in the first semester and unnecessary people and circumstances in the second?

ME: I get what...

GOD: Who?

My body trembles from the thunder in his voice.

ME: (soft) Me.

GOD: And who suffered a major bout of depression that left her spending three of her six months for qualifying exam prep crying, balled up on the bed, the sofa, barely eating and not leaving the

house--yet still managed to do an excellent job on the exams?

I shake my head as a warmth fills my body.

ME: Me.

GOD: And who, still in the midst of that depression, was able to get both her dissertation proposal and her IRB proposal accepted?

I point at myself.

GOD: Say it. Speak life.

ME: Me.

God sighs. Despite myself, I chuckle.

GOD: Me what?

ME: I did that. (rubs neck) But Dad, this time it's different. I'm tired. I'm frustrated. I'm scared. I'm worried. I'm unsure. I'm resigned. I'm all over the place and no place. I feel so alone.

(feels his hand on shoulder) Although I shouldn't say that, considering you are with me, and with you, I got everything.

GOD: Day in, and day out.

My body shakes, and sobs increase as God wraps me in his arms. He rubs my hair and drops a faint kiss upon my forehead.

GOD: I have a question.

ME: Yes, Dad.

GOD: Do you trust me?

ME: Without question.

GOD: Oh, there are questions--you listed them earlier. You say you trust me, but you're scared, worried, unsure. Doesn't sound like a trusting person.

I cast my eyes down.

ME: Forgive me, Father.

GOD: Answer me this: Do you believe that when I tell you to do something it's for your good?

ME: Yes.

GOD: Who told you to pursue your Ph.D. finally?

ME: (silent for a few seconds) You. (lifts a finger emphatically) BUT, perhaps starting the journey wasn't about finishing it. Perhaps you want me to go to learn or figure out something else.

GOD: (chuckles) Nice try. So, the recommendation, the classes, the managing-through despite depression, the qualifying exams, the proposals--all of that was to teach you about something else not

related to the Ph.D.?

ME: (unsure) Perhaps?

GOD: So, I brought you all this way to say, "I'm just playing" and leave you stranded?

I don't speak. He's right, which convicts me right where I sit.

Before I can utter, "I'm sorry," before I can tell him that I trust him and it's me I have doubts about, he pulls me close and whispers, "Come, rest upon me. Let your worries and cares go play for

a while."

I close my eyes just as he kisses my hair and whispers, "It is all finished, my daughter."

I feel those words move and settle just beneath my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &