Skip to main content

Script Frenzy 2010 Winner

One thing kept me fairly sane throughout the month of April - a month where crunch time is in full effect and plenty of major projects are coming due: working on my script for Script Frenzy [LINK]. Although I'm nowhere near DONE with the script [and much cutting is in my future with it], I did manage to cross the 100-page mark needed to win Script Frenzy!




I'm really proud of myself because it's the first time I've written creatively since November with NaNoWriMo [LINK], and it's the first time in about 9 months in which I've written something that I actually want to go back to and edit and revise and submit.


Below is an excerpt for the screenplay, the screenplay of NO NAME. LOL It will have a title some day, but the one I originally had, Hell's Angel, doesn't really fit the story or character any more.


Remember, this is a VERY ROUGH, haven't looked at it at ALL draft of the script. LOL Judge accordingly if you must judge.


Here's a quick synopsis of story: A woman returns to her life after a 10-year bid for killing her husband with one thing on her mind: reuniting with the daughter who hates her.





INT. COFFEE SHOP - MORNING


Peighton, dressed up, is sitting at a small table in the corner, typing on a laptop.

She looks deep in thought.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Good morning, Peighton.


Peighton looks up and is none too thrilled to see Detective Deeks before her.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
You look nice.


Peighton doesn’t respond.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
See you’re fitting into the world quickly.


Detective Deeks points at the laptop.


PEIGHTON
I used computers in prison...while I was getting my degree, Detective.


Detective Deeks looks outside the large windows and spots a motorcycle in a parking spot. He points toward it.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Is that your cycle out there?


Peighton nods.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
And you rode it here? Dressed like that?


Peighton looks up to him and nods.

There is a pause.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
(clears throat)
You mind if I sit here?


Peighton shrugs.


PEIGHTON
If you must.


Detective Deeks sits, stares at Peighton.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
I’ve done some research on you...


Peighton snaps her attention toward him. She’s angry.


PEIGHTON
What the hell for? I haven’t done shi...


Detective Deeks lifts his hands.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
I know you haven’t. I don’t suspect you of anything.
(softer) This is about your past. About what happened to you.


PEIGHTON
And why is that any concern of yours?


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Because my son is seeing your daughter, and I want to know everything about her. And that includes you.


Peighton returns her gaze to the laptop.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
And I’m sorry.


Peighton eyes Detective Deeks.


PEIGHTON
For what?


DETECTIVE DEEKS
For seeing you just as a murderer when I didn’t know all the facts.


PEIGHTON
(shrugs) Doesn’t matter. Most of the world goes off indicting people without knowing all the facts. Why should you be any different?


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Because I work to be different. And I think you’re a good person.


PEIGHTON
And you tell me this, why?


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Because I don’t want you to get hurt.


PEIGHTON
By what?


Detective Deeks sighs.

Peighton shakes her head and points in his direction.


PEIGHTON (CONT’D)
Don’t even go there.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
I know things. Things you don’t.


Peighton closes her laptop and places it in her bag. She drops money on the table and stands.


She bends to Detective Deeks’ ear.


PEIGHTON
You just can’t believe people can change, can you?


Detective Deeks turns to face Peighton. Their faces are close. There is a pause as they stare at one another.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
I believe people can change. I don’t believe the people you hang out with have changed.


Peighton stands and takes a step back.


PEIGHTON
Well, they haven’t done nothing to prove me wrong yet.


Detective Deeks raises an eyebrow.


DETECTIVE DEEKS
Really? Nothing?


Peighton looks away.


DETECTIVE DEEKS (CONT’D)
Just protect yourself. If things start to feel funny, protect yourself and get out of the way of danger.


Peighton gives him a parting glance. Nods.


PEIGHTON
Heard you. OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &