Skip to main content

Emotional

I'm crying.

Which, in and of itself, is nothing new. I'm an emotional person. At church, I was called "The Cryer."

These days, my emotions stem from one important thing: I'm moving. In 11 days, I will be packing up my girlfriend's car, and she and I will be taking the 11+ hour trek to Lubbock, Texas, where she will stay a few days to get me acclimated and then I will be ALONE.

The alone part doesn't bother me too much. Been craving silence. Separation for awhile now after playing Mom for siblings for years and not having the space to pray, cry, scream, speak in tongues, everything like I feel.

The move part, however, is taking its toll. In a way, I've been a wanderer most of my life. To avoid family troubles and to, in a way, run away from myself, I've lived in Chicago and Jersey and Louisiana. Chicago and Jersey were short stints, but here in Louisiana, I made a life.

I've lived here for eight years. I licked the wounds of losing my maternal grandparents here. I suffered a nervous breakdown, began psychotherapy, and learned to love me here. One by one, my mother and siblings broke free from the painful memories of Baltimore and moved here. I had my first real love and loss here. I found my voice as a writer here. I started going to church here. I spoke in tongues in here. I was baptised here. I met true, living-in-the-Word friends here. I started my career in teaching here. My work as an editor and being known in various parts of the publishing world grew here. I met my boyfriend here (well, he was in Kansas, but still - lol). I found my purpose here.

An era is ending. This phase, that I call Defining Shonell, is coming to a close. In this phase, these eight years, I've learned me. My wants, my desires, my convictions, my morals. I have learned to put a foot down, and I have learned to lift my hands up in praise for the father who makes all my successes a reality. I know the definition of me. And the memories of how I came to be bring forth such emotion that at times I have to take a deep breath (or two or three or four), wipe the tears away, and whisper, "It was all for my good."

I know the next several days, several weeks...hell, several months will be emotional for me -- letting go and starting truly anew -- but I do know the destination, so I will succeed in going through the journey.

It's time to start the new phase -- Illustrating Shonell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &