Skip to main content

Healing Power

Recently, God has me buying a lot of things - faith-based things. Books. CDs. DVDs. I know he's getting me ready for something, and I thank him for the preparation.

Today, I received Kenneth & Gloria Copeland's Healing & Wellness: Your 10-Day Spiritual Action Plan. There's a praise CD, a healing CD, and a sermon-laden DVD...in addition to daily readings and journal writing activities.

For each day, there is a morning devotional time and an evening devotional time, which I love because it encompasses my entire day with God.

Today was DAY ONE.

The purpose of this blog site is for me to chronicle my journey into new phases of my life...to, in essence, be bare so that I can see the flaws, learn to love them, and learn to keep on moving on to the wonderful life God has in store for me.

I thought it appropriate considering this was day one of this spiritual action plan to start by being bare, so...


This is a recent pic of me - bathed, sans makeup or anything that could "doll" me up. When I first saw this pic, I actually loved it (still do). There was something about the rawness, the untouched image that made me feel real. Straight no chaser? Definitely.

I want my insides to be as bare as this picture feels to me, and on day one of the spiritual action plan, I can already feel things taking shape.

You know what I realized today?

I hardly ever connected healing with God. Salvation, yes. Healing, no. I know that because I believe in God and because Jesus is my Lord and Savior and because I repent and because I work hard to walk the path God has placed before me, I am saved.

But I never once thought about Am I healed.

And I mean all the "heals" - spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically...

My faith has been very perfunctory, very single-minded. Faith=Salvation

And today, I realized I want Faith=Healing Wholly + Salvation

I have never dealt with spiritual health because I was only focused on salvation.
I have dealt with emotional health by going to a counselor in the past.
I have dealt with mental health by taking medication in the past.
I have dealt with physical health by seeing a doctor and taking medication.

But rarely have I ever, for example, looked at various parts Matthew 8, read it, and believed that the Lord's grace is immediate and far-reaching and just by believing, I can be healed and can be made to heal others.

Yes, counselors, doctors, and medication are necessary; however, to discount that the end of the thing (illness, disease, etc.) can be made done by God is to do yourself and your health a major disservice.

I've been clinically depressed most of my life but wasn't diagnosed until I was 30. About a year or so before turning 30, I felt the breakdown coming to pass. My erratic behavior, compulsions, major mood swings, fear, anything negative slowly built in me and then... the breakdown.

I was suicidal (not for the first, second, third, or fourth time), and for the first time in my life, a relative (my mother) suggested I see someone, so I did. After all, I was over a 1,000 miles away from anyone who loved me and was so alone. I needed an ear.

My counselor was wonderful. She was a Christian counselor and immediately began using faith in our sessions, but I wasn't ready to receive it. Was still battling with God and his Son.

I was on medication, and it with the therapy helped me greatly. After three years of psychotherapy, I was deemed "good to go" and no longer needed either the meds or the counselor.

And for the last four years, I've done well without them...no thanks to me. God does look out for babes and fools, :-)

Now, almost four years since my last session, I thank God for allowing someone (the counselor) and something (the meds) to be there for me.

However, I can't help but to think how quickly the Lord could have taken care of this if I had believed. One, believed I was worthy to be "fixed." Two, believed the Lord had the power to heal me.

Sometimes when I look back, I almost can't recognize the person I was because my life - my thoughts, my actions, my self-esteem - are so over-the-moon better than they were then.

But looking back with my new eyes, my heart, new mind, and new spirit; I can appreciate what God got me through despite my ignorance of him and his powers. I also can stand even more firmly on my beliefs that God and his Son are constantly there for me, and if I reach out and believe and ask, I can be healed and made well.

Comments

  1. I must say I can relate to this post. I have also went to counseling and not allowed God and his Son in. At this point in my life I allow him in sometimes but, at others I feel in doubt. Not in doubt with him cause, I know he's there. I guess in doubt with what he can really do. You know me personally so I know you know what I am talking about. I am in a battle with letting him fully in because, when things don't go the way I want them to I blame him and I blame me. I am trying to work it out though because, I know that's the only way my life will go as planned. Okay, enough about me but as I was going to say I love the way you decided and accepted God, and I love the way you do the devotionals so your day will be based around God, you put God first and no one else. That shows the quality of a good human being one the way God wants us to be. I am so glad that I have such a great role model and some one I greatly look up to in my life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, babe. :-) And you know, we all have doubt, but it's in remembering that God got you and will always have you...more on that later, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &