Skip to main content

Be Careful What You Ask For

No, this isn't a horror piece. No mystery. Nothing scary. Well, not too scary, anyway.

It's about being ready for what you ask for because God has a way of making a quick work of some things, and you have to be ready for the call, ready to take the reins and do what's needed.

A few weeks ago, a TTSiC (Tag Team Sister in Christ) prophesied over me, something she's been doing a lot lately. One thing she mentioned was a ministry I would develop with my SO (significant other). She said it would be counseling-related, and I had received it because for about two years now, I felt a calling to reach out to women through faith and fellowship.

Fast forward to this past week, and she's telling me how she thinks her calling is elementary education, to reach children before they pick up all the bad habits of the world, making it hard to reach them.

And having forgot her prophesy, I said, "That sounds perfect for you, sis. Do it. Jump on it today because like my call is to women, yours is to the children."

God had planted the seed in me years ago, my sister had prophesied on me, and I had confirmed it while championing her.

And then God put me to the test immediately, and I almost wasn't ready.

In the span of a few days, at least five women came to me seeking faithful, spiritual advice. And when I write "came to me," I mean to say God had them call out, and I happened to hear it. Some came directly to me; some called out in general and having sensed distress, I answered.

Hours were spent on the phone, on the computer, in text messages, praying, giving scripture, offering advice, lending an ear to these women who were all in the same stage of life - about my age and seemingly "waiting" for the next big thing to happen in their life while dealing with all struggles that accompany being alive. Having been that woman...being that woman, I could relate and could offer advice.

But I almost wasn't there in time because God was so quick.

I was tired. I was moody. I was something that had me in my typical "Shon wants to be left alone" mode; even once, I let the phone ring and didn't answer when someone called.

And then I admonished myself, saying, "Reading the bible and quoting scripture don't make you holy. Helping and being there and putting your faith in ACTION does. When that phone rings again, I'll be there."

And no soon had I said those words, the phone rang again, and I stayed on the phone for three or more hours with a girlfriend, and in the end, not only was she better, but also I was better and had learned and confirmed some things for my own life.

I know this is only the beginning of what God has in store for me in regards to reaching out to women, and I have to commit my heart, mind, and soul now to whatever God puts before me.

And that's for EVERYTHING; if you want something, you have to make sure you're really open to receive it; you might not get a second chance to live out your dreams and wishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Bad News into a Positive Move for Change

I received some news today. The stage was set for it three weeks ago, and today confirmed it. I have diabetes. Out of all illnesses you can get, diabetes has been #1 on my Please, Dear God, not that  list my whole life. I've had great aunts and uncles that had it and saw some of the more extreme effects of it, and wanted nothing to do with it, ever. Three weeks ago, blood work results came back. Sugar was pretty high. My doctor decided to schedule more blood work within a two to three-week span of time. I had that done this past Friday. Today, after smiling and talking with my bestie about my good talk with my dissertation chair, after declaring the completion of my dissertation, after excitedly telling bestie of new writing project; the call came. About the norm in a roller coaster life in which at 1:59 you can be on Cloudy Infinity and at 1:59:10, you can hear the thud and the crack of bones as you fall back to earth. Doctor told me the number was lower, but that

In the beginning...

Then the LORD answered me and said: Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:2-4 Throughout the course of a lifetime, we go on many journeys. I know I have. Not enough fingers and toes to list every journey that makes up my life. These journeys cause us to question every action, to make choices, to follow paths, to make mistakes, to accomplish goals, to - inevitably - be changed as a result of each journey. In less than two months, I will begin a journey, a new phase in my life, and the preparation for it began a little over a year ago, at a time when I was tired and done with a lot of things in my life; I was sure my life was placed on serious hold. I wanted to be a published &